The mission of the SPARK program is to inspire, support, and empower UNDERGRADUATE WOMEN majoring in engineering and computer science at Texas State University.
This unique program is funded by the National Science Foundation and is part of the College of Science and Engineering's goal to increase the number of women graduating with degrees in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) and entering professional STEM careers.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR FALL 2015: MAY 1, 2015
- Application deadline (including receipt of references and FAFSA completion) is MAY 1, 2015.
- Applications are accepted and evaluated on a rolling basis.
- Applications will be accepted until all spots are filled.
SPARK award eligibilty is determined by your FAFSA since this is a need-based award. In order to consider your application for SPARK, your FAFSA must be completed for 2015-2016. Please see this link to complete your FAFSA and financial aid information for Texas State.
CAN I APPLY?: You must already be accepted to Texas State in order to apply. You must be an incoming freshman for Fall 2015.
CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT: You must be a U.S. citizen or (documented) Permanent Resident.
MAJORS: You must be a declared major in engineering or computer science. Detailed list of eligible majors/specializations can be found in the application below.
SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBLITY: The $10K SPARK scholarship is a need-based award that is determined by your FAFSA and maintaining academic eligibility every semester. The award is split ($5000/fall, $5000 spring). NOTE: SPARK is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation. Our grant funding concludes at the end of spring 2016. We hope to secure new funding after spring 2016, but we want applicants to be aware that this is a single year scholarship award at this time.
SPARK HOUSING REQUIREMENT: All first year students accepted into the SPARK program are required to live in the STEM Living Learning Community during your first year. There is a separate application to the STEM LLC . Students must pay their own housing costs.
We are interested in learning more about you! All applicants must provide a personal essay from one of the three options outlined below. Essays should be 500-750 words maximum. No essay topic is preferred over another.
Please choose ONE of the following and answer all the questions listed in your selection:
1. Describe a challenge and/or hardship to which you have successfully responded. What did you learn about yourself as you responded to this challenge and/or hardship? Describe a challenge you anticipate facing in any aspect of college life. On the basis of what you learned from your earlier response, how do you expect to deal with this challenge?
2. Describe a life experience that influenced you to consider a career in engineering or computer science. Where do you see yourself ten years from now? What impact do you hope to have on your community, generation, family, and/or country by becoming an engineer or computer scientist?
3. How well prepared do you feel you are to undertake a STEM major? Have you done any additional training or had any special experiences that complemented the STEM preparation you received in high school? What talents or special character attributes will you contribute to the SPARK community?
IV. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Letters of recommendation will be requested via electronic notification. You do not need to mail them to us. We will request them via email.
Please provide the name and primary email address of two individuals whom you have asked to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. These should be professionals who are familiar with your academic performance and career goals (i.e., teachers, administrators, organization leaders, supervisors, etc.) Please do not use family members or personal acquaintances.
The complete list of Texas State Board of Regents members is available here.
Be sure you have completed all fields...then hit SUBMIT!
You will receive an email confirmation that we have received your application.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that references are received by our deadline: May 1, 2105.
* By submitting this application, I certify that this information is complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I authorize the Texas State University SPARK Scholars Leadership Team to review my academic records on file at Texas State University to verify my enrollment status, residency, declared major, and review my course grades, GPAs, academic transcripts, and standardized test scores.