Skip to Content

Frequently asked questions

The following is a list of questions that students have consistently asked the Advising Center staff.  If you do not find the answer to your question or you would like more information, please make an appointment to visit with an academic advisor in the College of Science and Engineering Undergraduate Advising Center.

Expand All Content
  • The freshmen and transfer orientation sessions are scheduled by the Undergraduate Admissions Office.  Freshmen students are seen by the PACE Advising Center during orientation. Transfer students are seen by the College of Science and Engineering Advising Center.

    During the academic portion of the transfer orientation session, the academic advisors and departmental advisors are available to discuss the College of Science and Engineering degrees, academic services, university policies, degree requirements, answer questions, and assist each student in choosing courses for the upcoming semester. 

    Please visit the Undergraduate Admissions Office website for orientation session times.

  • Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for more information regarding our general education core curriculum policy.

  • This will depend upon the courses you took at the other institution.  Courses taken at other institutions that are direct equivalents to Texas State courses will appear on your Texas State transcript with our institutional course name and number.  Please refer to Transfer Equivalencies for designations of courses offered at other Texas colleges and universities.  Courses that do not have a direct equivalent at Texas State are assigned one of the following designations:

    • ELNA (elective non-advanced) for freshman or sophomore (1000-2000) level courses.
    • ELADV (elective advanced) for junior or senior (3000-4000) level courses.
    • Courses evaluated as NT (non-transferable) or T&V (technical and vocational) will need to be re-evaluated on a case-by-case basis to see if they can be used for degree credit.

    It is important that you speak with an academic advisor during your first semester at Texas State to find out how your transfer courses will apply toward your degree.

  • To change/declare your major in the College of Science and Engineering, you will need to make an appointment to meet with an advisor. An appointment is necessary, as we will discuss degree requirements specific to your new degree.

    If you are currently a major in the College of Science and Engineering and would like to change your minor, you may fill out a change of minor form.

    If you would like to change your major to something other than science, you need to contact the specific advising office:

    University College
    UAC Suite 149

    • General Studies
    • Undecided
    • Undecided-professional

    College of Applied Arts
    AG 201

    • Agriculture
    • Criminal Justice
    • Family and Consumer Sciences
    • Occupational Education
    • Social Work

    McCoy College of Business Administration
    MCOY 115

    • Accounting
    • Computer Information Systems
    • Economics
    • Finance
    • Management
    • Management with Entrepreneurial Concentration
    • Management with Teacher Certification
    • Marketing

    College of Education
    ED 2143

    • Early Childhood Education
    • Special Education
    • Athletic Training
    • Exercise and Sports Science
    • Health and Wellness Promotion
    • Recreation Administration

    College of Fine Arts & Communication
    OM 118

    • Art & Design
    • Communication Studies
    • Theatre & Dance
    • Journalism & Mass Communication
    • Music

    College of Health Professions
    Encino Hall Rm 302

    • Clinical Laboratory Science
    • Communication Disorders
    • Healthcare Administration
    • Health Information Management
    • Radiation Therapy
    • Respiratory Care

    College of Liberal Arts
    FH 322

    • Anthropology
    • English
    • Geography
    • History
    • International Studies
    • Modern Languages
    • Philosophy
    • Political Science
    • Psychology
    • Sociology 

    If you are having trouble choosing a major or minor, make an appointment to visit the Advising Center for help or contact the school or department you are interested in to schedule an appointment with a faculty advisor.

  • Please see Scholarships on the College of Science and Engineering homepage.

  • No. We cannot give out the personal information of students, even if a student is under 18 years of age. This is because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of a student's educational records and guarantees students access to their own records.

    If students have placed a "privacy hold" on their account, we cannot even give out their major or minor information.

    As a parent, if you claim your child as a dependent on your federal taxes, we may be able to release some academic information about your child if it is deemed relevant and/or necessary. In order to prove that you claim your child as a dependent, you will need to bring in the top copy of your federal income taxes of the most recent tax cycle and fill out the "Parental Affidavit of Dependacy Form". You can black out sensitive information, such as social security numbers and income brackets. Claiming a child as a dependent does not mean you automatically have access to their records.

    Any student has the right to allow any other person to view their records. Texas State University parents and families can now connect with their students and view important student records through the Bobcat Family Portal. The portal can provide families with an electronic FERPA waiver to simplify the process of requesting access to student academic and financial information. It’s easy. Parents or family members make a request to connect; students decide which records to share. 

    For more information on FERPA, please visit the Registrar's website.

  • While we cannot give you specific information about a student, we would be glad to give you information on university policies, major/minor requirements, and probation/suspension policies. We are happy to help you interpret the Undergraduate Catalog and direct you to appropriate offices.

  • The College of Science and Engineering Advising Center strongly encourages students to make appointments themselves.

    We encourage students to be an active participant in their education. This includes contacting appropriate offices and making appointments.