COSE Drop-In Zoom Advising
How does virtual drop-in advising work?
- When you click the registration link (posted below), you will be asked to register for drop-in advising. The link will go live at 8:15 am. This allows our team to gather some of your information prior to talking with you.
- Once you register, a COSE staff member will add you the student to the advising queue.
- Advisors will connect with students in the order they were added to the queue. When you are the next student on the queue, you will receive an email invitation to join the advisor's Zoom room.
- You will have five minutes from the time the email is sent to click the link and join the room. If you do not join within five minutes, the advisor will move on to the next student and you will be off the queue.
- If you miss your link, you need to fill out this registration form again to be added back to the queue.
- Students who are not able to be seen by noon will receive an email notification and an invitation to schedule an appointment or attend an upcoming drop-in.
Additional information about drop-in advising is included below the "Upcoming Dates" section.
- Typical drop-in schedule: advising typically takes place between 8:30 - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
- Between 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, the advisors will be on a lunch break. It is unlikely that any students will be advised during this time.
- For drop-ins scheduled 10/18 - 10/25: advising will take place between 8:30 am - noon.
- Links to the drop-in event will be posted shortly before the start time.
- We will review the number of students in the queue periodically. If there is a large number of students, we will not add additional students to the queue.
- Monday, October 18 (ends at noon) Registration begins at 8:15 am
- Tuesday, October 19 (ends at noon)
- Wednesday, October 20 (ends at noon)
- Thursday, October 21 (ends at noon)
- Friday, October 22 (ends at noon)
- Monday, October 25 (ends at noon)
- Friday, October 29
- Friday, November 5
- Friday, November 12
- Friday, November 19
- Friday, December 3
What is virtual drop-in advising?
Virtual drop-in advising is a way to connect with a COSE Advisor without a scheduled appointment. Drop-in events are offered on select days and times. Due to the fast-paced nature of drop-in events, your advisor may recommend that you make a follow-up appointment to have an in-depth discussion about a particular topic. Meetings last about 15 minutes or less.
Who can attend drop-in advising?
Drop-in virtual advising is for current undergraduate students assigned to the College of Science and Engineering Advising Center or students who need help registering for a science course.
Drop-in events are designed for students who have questions about the current semester or need quick help planning their schedule for the upcoming semester. Drop-ins are not designed for long-range planning, Satisfactory Academic Progress plans, or probation advising.
New or returning students hoping to complete their New Student Orientation advising should call our office at 512.245.1315 to learn about group orientation advising opportunities.
To best utilize your your time, please:
Download the Zoom application and confirm that you are able to log in using your Texas State NetID and password. Students have access to Zoom Pro with their Texas State credentials.
Check that your webcam and microphone work. If you use wireless headphones/earbuds, please put them on prior to joining the meeting. Attending the meeting via cell phone is not ideal, but acceptable. We will not meet with students who are operating a motor vehicle.
Ensure you can access your Texas State email, called Bobcat Mail.
Prepare questions that you might have. Advisors love when students have a list of questions prepared for their appointments!