Expand All Content
  • The College of Science and Engineering Dean's Office has directed the College of Science and Engineering Advising Center to not enter prerequisite overrides for courses that are currently being taken off-campus or that will be taken off-campus in the future.

    Students who take a prerequisite off-campus must complete the prerequisite and demonstrate proof of sufficient grade prior to enrolling in a course at Texas State. Students must use their transfer institution transcript or final grades as proof - grades from online classroom sites like Canvas or Blackboard will not be accepted, as they are not final grades.

    Once final grades are available, students can submit the College of Science and Engineering Override Request Form to demonstrate proof of sufficient grade. Students should also send the official transcript to Texas State.

    The College of Science and Engineering Advising Center will not "reserve" seats in the future course you wish to register for. If the course is closed when you provide proof of sufficient grade in the prerequisite course, visit the Closed Class information page.

  • For more information regarding the Course Repeat Fee, please visit the Student Business Services website.

  • For more information regarding the maximum number of drops allowed, please review the Academic Regulations section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

  • For more information regarding dropping a class versus withdrawing from the university, please review the Academic Regulations section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

    View the Academic Calendar for deadlines.

  • For more information regarding the Excessive Hour Policy, please review the Tuition and Fees section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

  • Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Science in Technology students must demonstrate successful completion of two years of the same foreign language in high school or two semesters of the same foreign language in college.

    If you do not have previous credit for the aforementioned foreign language courses, you will need to successfully complete two semesters of the same foreign language in college.

    If you believe you are proficient in a second language you may take a CLEP test (credit by exam) through the Testing, Research, Evaluation, and Support Office for a fee. This is only available for German, French, and Spanish. If you speak a language other than German, French, or Spanish, please speak to an advisor.

    Please note: if you are a bachelor of arts student, you may be required to take additional foreign language classes.

  • In accordance with Texas State's records retention policies, a student appeal for a change of grade must be filed no later than two years after the grade is issued.

    • An individual course grade may be changed when the involved faculty member certifies to the Office of the University Registrar that an error was made in computing the original grade.
    • The grade change must be approved by the department chair/school director and the appropriate college dean.
    • Students who wish to protest a grade earned in a course should first discuss the grade with the instructor.
      • If no resolution is reached, the student may appeal the grade to the department chair.
      • If no satisfactory conclusion can be reached at this level, the student may appeal to the college dean in which the course is offered, whose decision is final.
    • The process outlined above is displayed in flowchart form below.

    grade appeal process flowchart

    If you would like to appeal/protest a grade for a non-science course, please contact that department for further instructions.

  • A "no-show" is a scheduled appointment that is missed without a cancellation notice. A cancellation notice after the scheduled appointment time has begun is a "no-show." Arriving more than 10 minutes late for your scheduled appointment also counts as a "no-show." 

    If you need to cancel your appointment with an advisor, please call the College of Science and Engineering Undergraduate Advising Center before your scheduled appointment time at 512.245.1315. 

    If you have two no-shows in one academic year, you will be required to meet with the Associate Dean of Science and Engineering to determine if you are able to schedule further appointments with the advising center.  If the Associate Dean permits you to schedule further advising appointments, and you no-show again in the same academic year, you will not be permitted to schedule further appointments and your advising must take place via email for the remainder of that academic year.

    If you have advising holds on your account, no-showing your appointment could affect your ability to register in a timely fashion. 

    An academic year is the beginning of the Fall semester through the end of the Summer semester. The no-show count will reset at the beginning of each new academic year.  

  • Information regarding the Ingram School of Engineering and their placement of advising holds can be reviewed on the Ingram School of Engineering advising page.

  • As a financial aid recipient, the federal government requires that your aid eligibility only be based on those courses that count toward the completion of your degree. So to be considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes, you would want to enroll in 12 credit hours as an undergraduate that count toward your degree. Remember, to be eligible for most financial aid, you only need to be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours for undergraduates).

    If you believe a course does count toward your degree but is not being counted as a financial aid-eligible course, contact your academic advising center.

    If you enrolled in a required prerequisite course that is not being counted as financial aid eligible, contact your academic advising center.

    Source: Financial Aid and Scholarships website

  • Educational privacy rights (FERPA)

    • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly known as FERPA, is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records and guarantees students' access to their own records.

      The Office of the University Registrar website provides additional information about FERPA, including frequently asked questions by parents and students.

    • FERPA prevents university from disclosing personal information to anyone other than the student (i.e., grades, schedule of classes).

    • Advisors can answer general questions about degree requirements, university policies, and office procedures.

      Advisors may answer general questions about students, such as major & minor, and if the student is currently enrolled. According to the Registrar's website, Texas State may release any of the following "directory information":

      • Name
      • Date and place of birth
      • Fields of study, including major and minor
      • Enrollment status (actual hours enrolled, undergraduate, graduate, etc.)
      • Degrees, certificates, and awards received
      • Type of award received (academic, technical, continuing education, etc.)
      • Dates of attendance
      • Student classification
      • Name of the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
      • Telephone number
      • Current and permanent addresses, excluding e-mail addresses
      • Weight and height of athletes
      • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
      • Names of prospective graduates
      • Parking permit records
      • Names of parents
      • Photographs of students
      • Gender
      • Any other records that could be treated as directory information under FERPA